Thursday, June 19, 2008

"Nooch"

So, I am trying to eat healthier snacks. After recently learning a great popcorn technique from Simply Recipe [Read it here! Learn!], I decided to have some of these yummy whole grains after my walk. However, I thought a few pats of butter might be a bit counterproductive. So I tried my new purchase, really going into Hippie territory: nutritional yeast, or "nooch," as the "in" Vegans call it. So I'm munching on it as I blog. And you know what? It's not bad! For those of you who haven't heard of it, this is not yeast yeast. From Wikipedia: "It is a deactivated yeast, usually Saccharomyces cerevisiae. It is produced by culturing the yeast with a mixture of sugarcane and beet molasses, then harvesting, washing, drying and packaging the yeast. It is commercially available in the form of flakes,photo or as a yellow powder similar in texture to cornmeal, and can be found in the bulk aisle of most natural food stores."

And you thought it was gross! So, I had read in about a billion places how good it is on popcorn. Fine, agreed. Any other uses you have enjoyed?

No comments: