Monday, June 2, 2008

Cream Scones




Over a year ago, my mother gave me her bread machine and several books of recipes to go with it. I quickly got over the bread machine (Sorry, Mom!) because I find that the texture of the breads is not great, and they tend to taste very similar. However, in one small move toward saving money on groceries, I do want to bake more. That's right, I'm baking bread! I haven't posted about the few loaves I've baked because they're experiments taken right from other blogs, but I will keep you updated.


I think a lot of the recipes I try will be from one book my mom included among the bread machine-specific books. A World of Breads by Dolores Casella was originally published in 1965, but this late edition was printed only 34 years ago! I like how it's laid out as well as the variety of recipes.


The first recipe I took from here was one for Cream Scones. They were rich and delicious, especially served with raspberry preserves and fresh whipped cream. I mixed a bit of sour cream into the cream to give it tang (a recommendation from Mark Bittman), and boy was this a breakfast! The recipe is below.



Preheat oven to 450F.


Grease baking sheet.


Sift together:


1 tablespoon baking powder

½ teaspoon salt

3 tablespoons sugar

2 cups flour


Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut in:


½ cup butter


Blend in:


2 large eggs

½ cup cream (or evaporated milk)


At this point, I added ½ cup dried cranberries, and you could mix in any dried fruit, extract, or even candied ginger!


On lightly floured surface (the dough is sticky), knead the dough lightly and divide into two parts. Roll each half into a circle about ½ inch thick. Cut each of these circles into quarters. Place on baking sheet.

Bake about 15 to twenty minutes. They will become golden; it is pretty clear when they are done.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

They were scrumptious. I was there.